|Caravan parks and dealers,camping accessories, motorhome sales and parts|
Caravan and Motorhome Storage
|Caravan and Motorhome Storage|
After purchasing a caravan or motorhome the next thing to consider is, where you will keep it? There are four main options:
1. Storing at home
2. Storing on an open air caravan site
3. Storing undercover
4. Permanent siting on a leisure site
1. Storing at home is, of course, the cheapest option and it also means that you can carry out maintenance work, and so on, whenever itís convenient for you. You can also keep an eye on your caravan/motorhome all the time. However, there are drawbacks. Will the neighbours object? Would you be breaching bye-laws or property covenants by keeping it there? If itís easy for you to move, then itís easy for a thief to remove. Residential areas can be quiet during the day. Even if you have a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme, donít rely on it to prevent theft of your caravan. A blocking security post that the caravan can also be attached to is a good idea. Always check with your insurance company that you are covered for storing your vehicle at home and make sure you get a decent alarm system installed, preferably with visual and audible warnings.
2. Open-air storage sites are popular and widely available throughout the country and this may be a better option for you than home storage. Costs vary depending on location, duration of stay and security levels. Unfortunately, your vehicle will be open to the elements and damage or theft may not be noticed immediately, depending on the site. Security at open-air sites should be of a high standard. Perimeter protection is obvious but crucial. Fencing, ditches, earth mounds or electronic beams are all good, especially in combination.How is access controlled? Ideally, there should be just one entry and exit point controlled by card, keypad or a series of heavy-duty locks. CCTV, especially recordable, is a good deterrent and good for identifying thieves. Visible cameras and warning signs all help deter.Similarly, security lighting is important. Thieves donít want to be seen. Look out for possible access points such as tall trees near fences or weak-looking areas in fencing or access gates.Gas bottles are a fire risk and must be stored in a locked compound. Are the correct extinguishers for possible fires available?Is there full Public Liability and Occupiers Liability insurance at the site? Also, are your own insurers in agreement with you storing your caravan on this site? The Caravan Site Storage Ownersí Association (CaSSOA) has over 300 registered sites that are strictly regulated. All member sites are checked and have to be of a certain standard.
3. Undercover storage maybe in a warehouse or a barn. The biggest advantage of this is that your vehicle is safe from the elements and may be more secure than at an open-air site. Carry out all the checks mentioned above, as they are still applicable.
4. If you have a favourite caravanning site that you use all the time, you may find that you can store your caravan on its own permanent pitch there. The benefits are obvious; many things can be left in the vehicle (not valuables, obviously), you can drive to it more easily, quickly and at short notice. The drawbacks are that it may be a busy site but itís probably less secure than a storage facility and that you are then tied to one particular site and area.
Prices for all these storage options vary enormously. Storage at home will cost nothing apart from the costs involved in making the caravan secure. Storage facilitiesí prices will vary from £3 up to over £25 depending on location of the site, size of the caravan/motorhome, duration required (the longer you need, the cheaper per week it should be) and even how often you will pay (yearly payments are more efficient than monthly payments).
The CaSSOA and any of the various caravan clubs will be able to advise you on the best option for storing your caravan or motorhome.
Caravan and Motorhome Storage click here for a full list.
To Search by company details, profile, categories select company radio button. To Search by specific product details select the product button.
|HAQ Publishing Ltd|
Twenty Four telephone lines
XML | Sitemap